Aging in place can be a recipe for isolation and loneliness, according to solo aging expert and Nexus Fellow, Sara Zeff Geber, PhD. In a 2020 virtual presentation, she explains the risks, which include cognitive decline, depression, high blood pressure and more. The result? A decreased quality of life.
According to Geber, there are three types of loneliness:
- Intimate/Emotional: Longing for a close confidante or intimate partner;
- Relational/Social: Yearning for quality friendships and social companionship;
- Collective: Hunger for a network or community of people who share a sense of purpose and interests.
In her presentation, Geber also explains:
- What makes us happy in later life;
- The importance of relationships and where they come from;
- Opportunities to build community;
- How building community can lead you to the right place to age.
Watch the full presentation:
Want to be notified when a new blog is posted? Subscribe to our blog and receive posts in your inbox.